According to an article in the Deseret Morning News, Elder Ballard addresses that the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints need to join the global conversation and use new technology to stand up for what they believe in.
“There are conversations going on about the church constantly,” Elder Ballard said. “Those conversations will continue whether or not we choose to participate in them. But we cannot sit on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the church teaches.”
This month has brought a lot of attention, negative and positive, to the Church and it is up to us as members to take the attention as an opportunity for missionary work. There will be a lot of people with questions about our beliefs and it is up us to answer them.
LDS faithful can change perceptions of the church “one conversation at a time,” through a clear and simple message of the Restoration. Elder Ballard said the Internet is a great tool to start these conversations. In his remarks, he suggested members consider the following:
- Start a blog “and share what you know to be true.”
- Download videos from official church and other appropriate sites and send them to your friends.
- Comment on news media sites that report on the church “and voice your views as to the accuracy of the reports.”
Elder Ballard continues:
“Do not be afraid to share with others your story, your experiences as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ,” Elder Ballard said. “We all have interesting stories that influence our identity. Sharing those stories is a non-threatening way to talk to others. Telling those stories can help demystify the church.”
I feel it is wonderful that the Church embraces technology to share the Gospel:
- The Official Church website has tons of information for members and non-members alike.
- The Church has provided us with an online Scripture Edition that is easy to use and quite frankly a necessity for myself.
- The Church Public Affairs has created an official profile on YouTube and has been releasing videos.
- The Church provides an area for News Releases, Stories, Commentary, Statistical and Background Information at their Newsroom website.
- There is even an official Technology website called LDSTech just for the Church.
Members seem to be doing their part as well with the following:
- LDS & Mormon Blogs – A non-church ran directory of LDS bloggers.
- Official Church Press Release: Apostle Urges Students to Use New Media
- Full Video of Elder Ballards Speech
Official YouTube Video: