Saturday Session 1, Talk 4 – Elder Russel T. Osguthorpe, Sunday School General President.
- Missionaries save lives, spiritual lives.
- Joseph F Smith said “when we receive the truth, we will be saved by it, will be saved not merely because someone taught it to us, but because we received it and acted upon it”.
- When missionaries and teachers draw on the spirit they teach the appropriate principle, invite the learners to learn that principle and then bear witness of promised blessings which will follow.
- Elder David A. Bednar shared three simple elements of affective teaching:
- Key doctrine
- Invitation to action
- Promised blessings
- The guide “Preach My Gospel” helps missionaries teach key doctrine.
- The guide”Teaching, No greater call” helps parents and teachers do the same.
- President Monson has taught:
The goal of gospel teaching is not to ‘pour information’ into the minds of class members….The aim is to inspire the individual to think about, feel about, and then do something about living gospel principles.
-“Teaching Helps Save Lives”