Sunday Session 4, Talk 1 – President Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor of the First Presidency
- Become Better than you are now
- Do not feel like you are good enough.
- Do not give up trying to be better.
- The message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that we CAN and we must expect to become better as long as we live.
- We believe that through living the Gospel, we can become like the saviour who is perfect.
- “I’m trying to be like Jesus” Primary Song
- Family is the testing ground for learning Love
- Love is putting others above ourselves.
- Sorrow comes primarily from selfishness, which is the absence of love.
- The idea God holds for us is to form families in a way that is most likely to lead to happiness and away from sorry.
- A man and a woman are to make sacred covenants that they will put the welfare and happiness of the other at the center of their lives.
- Children are to be born into a family where parents hold the needs of the children equal to their own in importance.
- Children are to love parents and each other.
- That is the idea of a loving family.
- Choices to qualify that there will be no empty chairs in our families in the world to come:
- Pray for the love that allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes the weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companions joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften your sorrows of your companion.
- Council to the parents of a wandering child. The savior is the perfect example of persisting in love. Story of Jesus re-inviting the Nephites to come to him. Story of the Prodigal Son gives us hope.
Elder Orson F. Whitney, General Conference in 1929, to the faithful parents that honor temple sealings to their children:
“Though some of the sheep may wonder, the eye of the Shepard is upon them and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of divine providence reach out after them and drawing them back to the fold…Pray for your careless and disobedient children, hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on ’till you see the salvation of God. You can pray for your children. Love them. Reach out to them with confidence that Jesus reaches for them with you. When you keep trying, you are doing what Jesus does.”
- Council to the children. Lord gave you a commandment with a promise. The only commandment with a promise… Honor thy Father and Mother.
- “Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and thought.”