Sunday Session 4, Talk 5 – Russell M. Nelson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Technology allows us to communicate rapidly.
- Even more amazing than modern technology is our opportunity to access information directly from heaven. Without: hardware, software or monthly service fees.
- It’s one of the most marvelous gifts the Lord has offered to mortals.
- Wrote down an idea for General Conference and arose from sleep and wrote down his impressions. The next morning he looked at the paper and his writing was illegible. He writes more carefully now.
- To access information from Heaven you need:
- have a firm faith and deep desire.
- Ask with a sincere heart and real intent having faith in Jesus Christ. Real intent means that one really intends to follow divine direction given.
- Study the matter diligently. Study it out in your mind. The ask God if it is right. If it is right, he will cause a burning in your bosom, therefore you shall FEEL that it is right.
- Know and obey the teachings of the Lord.
- The natural man knows very little of God and even less of his prophet.
- Paul wrote: “The natural man receives not the things of the spirit of God for they are foolishness unto him, neither can they know them because they are spiritually discerned.”
- Another Prophet said: “The natural man is an enemy to God and has been from the fall of Adam and will be forever and ever unless he yields to the enticings of the holy spirit and puteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord. And becometh as a Child: Submissive, Meek, Humble, Patient, Full of Love, Willing to submit of all things with the Lord see fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doths submit to his father.”
- Gives the Definition of Discernment:
- Gift of Discernment is a Spiritual is a supernal gift: it allows members of the Church to see things not visible and to feel things not tangible. Bishops are entitled to this gift to seek out the poor and care for the needy.
- Sisters may view trends in the world and detect those, however popular, are shallow or even dangerous.
- Members can discern between schemes that are flashy and fleeting – and those refinements which are uplifting and enduring.
- Discernment was implicit, in important instructions President John Taylor gave long ago, taught stake presidents, bishops and others :
“It is the right of those holding these positions to obtain the word of God with regard to the duties of their presidencies , that they more effectually carry out his holy purposes. None of the callings or positions int he priesthood are intended for the personal benefits, monuments and fame of those who hold them. But are expressly given to fulfill our purposes of our heavenly father and build up the kingdom of god upon the earth. We seek to understand the will of God and then carry it out and then see that it is carried by those over whom we have the charge.”
- To receiving revaluation unique to our needs and responsibilities, Certain Guidelines prevail:
- Develop faith, hope, charity and love with an eye single to the glory of god. then with your firm faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility and diligence you may ask and you will receive, knock and it will be upon unto you.
- Revelation from god is always compatible with his eternal law, never contradicts his doctrine. facilitated by proper reverence for Deity. “I the Lord am merciful and gracious to those who fear me and delight to honor those who serve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end. Great shall be their reward, and eternal shall be their glory. to them i will reveal all mysteries. and my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.
- Revelation need not come all at once, may be incremental:
“I will give unto the children of men, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little there a little and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom, for unto him who receiveth, i will give more.”
- Patience, perseverance are part of our eternal progression
- Prophets describe what it feels like when receiving revelation:
- Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery: “The veil was taken from our minds and the eyes of our understanding were opened”
- Joseph F Smith: “As I pondered over these things which were written, the eyes of my understanding were opened and the spirit of the lord rested upon me”
Sunday Session 4, Talk 4 – Ann M. Dibb, Second Counselor, Young Woman General Presidency
- Using your Safety Equipment
- Workers two weeks away (year task) from painting a bridge when a scaffolding collapsed.
- Held on for hours. Thought of their family.
- Could have been avoided with safety equipment.
- They chose not to use the safety equipment.
- The rod of iron is our safety equipment.
- Invited to reread Lehi’s vision of the iron rod.
- “Get a Grip” on the iron rod. “Repent, hold on and don’t let go.”
- Daughter of President Monson!
Sunday Session 4, Talk 3 – H. David Burton, Presiding Bishop
- Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly, then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God.
- 13th Article of Faith
- Stand tall and be firmly fixed in perpetuating Christ like virtues, even the “ity” virtues.
- Teaching virtuous traits begins in the home with parents who care and set the example. A good parent example encourages emulation. A poor example give license to disregard and even expand. An hypocritical example destroys credibility.
Sunday Session 4, Talk 2 – L. Tom Perry, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Learn from the past to help us face the future.
- Pagent of Manti
- Kimball promised a temple on the hill in Manti.
- If you want to have a temple, get busy and build it!
- The older temples are built with sacrifice.
- Norwegian Ship builders used the principles of ship building helped build the roof of the Manti temple.
- Use the lessons from the past to help meet the challenge. (We can us the Gospel in our lives the same way – Principles and Truths in the Past to help us face the future.)
- Being baptized means you must teach others
- Three subjects taught to investigators:
- Plan of Salvation
- Gospel of Jesus Christ
Sunday Session 4, Talk 1 – President Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor of the First Presidency
- Become Better than you are now
- Do not feel like you are good enough.
- Do not give up trying to be better.
- The message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is that we CAN and we must expect to become better as long as we live.
- We believe that through living the Gospel, we can become like the saviour who is perfect.
- “I’m trying to be like Jesus” Primary Song
- Family is the testing ground for learning Love
- Love is putting others above ourselves.
- Sorrow comes primarily from selfishness, which is the absence of love.
- The idea God holds for us is to form families in a way that is most likely to lead to happiness and away from sorry.
- A man and a woman are to make sacred covenants that they will put the welfare and happiness of the other at the center of their lives.
- Children are to be born into a family where parents hold the needs of the children equal to their own in importance.
- Children are to love parents and each other.
- That is the idea of a loving family.
- Choices to qualify that there will be no empty chairs in our families in the world to come:
- Pray for the love that allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes the weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companions joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften your sorrows of your companion.
- Council to the parents of a wandering child. The savior is the perfect example of persisting in love. Story of Jesus re-inviting the Nephites to come to him. Story of the Prodigal Son gives us hope.
Elder Orson F. Whitney, General Conference in 1929, to the faithful parents that honor temple sealings to their children:
“Though some of the sheep may wonder, the eye of the Shepard is upon them and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of divine providence reach out after them and drawing them back to the fold…Pray for your careless and disobedient children, hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on ’till you see the salvation of God. You can pray for your children. Love them. Reach out to them with confidence that Jesus reaches for them with you. When you keep trying, you are doing what Jesus does.”
- Council to the children. Lord gave you a commandment with a promise. The only commandment with a promise… Honor thy Father and Mother.
- “Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and thought.”
Saturday Session 2, Talk 7 – President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Pray even if you are you and wayward like the prophet Alma.
- Pray often.
- Pray in your mind.
- Pray in your heart.
- Pray on your knees.
- Prayer is your personal key in Heaven.
- Learned to close all prayers with “thy will be done.”
Saturday Session 2, Talk 6- Neil L. Anderson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Repentance and the invitation is not chastisement, it is a loving appeal to turn around and return to God.
- It is a beckoning of a Loving Father and Son to be more than we are.
- Repentance is for all of us, no matter how righteous we are.
- The Savior is able and eager to forgive our sins.
- Except for those few who choose perdition after having known a fullness, there is no sin that cannot be forgiven.
- To Change, petition the Father for what to do. He tells us in our mind and in our heart. Then we can choose to repent or we can pull the shades down over our open window into heaven.
- Alma warned “Do not endeavour to excuse yourself in the least part.”
- Realize where you need to change. Have sincere and heartfelt confession to the lord and when needed, to others. When possible, restore what was wrongfully harmed or partaken.
- Weekly taken of Sacrament is so important. To come humbly, meekly before the lord, acknowledging our dependence on him, asking him to forgive and to renew us. And promising to always remember him.
- The scriptures do not say that we will forget our forsaken sins in mortality, rather they declare that the lord will forget. The forsaking means “never returning.” This requires time.
- Bishop has the power of discernment to help us repent.
- Do not procrastinate the date of your repentance, but in this life, it is never too late to repent.
- Story of a married couple who left the church 50 years ago, comes back and was sorry their children do not have the gospel.
- Repentance always mean that there is greater happiness ahead.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 5 – Kent D. Watson, of the Seventy
- Talks on Temperance
- Do not be lifted up.
- Be Patient in all things
- Carefully examine our expectations and desires.
- Be diligent and patient in seeking righteous goals.
- Told a story about a wheel hitting his car’s windshield. He was covered in glass but had not a scratch because of the tempered glass. Tempered glass, like steel, goes under a heating process that increases stress. When tempered glass is under stress, it will not easy break into shards that can injured. Tempered soul, which is humble and full of love has increased strength. With increased spiritual strength, we develop self mastery and to live with moderation. Control, temper, vanity and pride. With increased spiritual strength, we protect our selves of dangerous excesses and destructive additions of today’s world.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 4 – Tad R. Callister, of the Seventy
– Apostle Paul was one of the greatest men to walk the earth.
– Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son is separate
– Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son have glorified bodies of Flesh and Bones
– Joseph Smith, God still speaks to man today, the heavens are not closed.
3 Questions to ask:
– Does God love us as much today as in New Testament Times?
– Does he have the same power now as he did then?
– Do we need him now today as they needed him anciently?
If the answer is YES, then it God does speak to men today.
– Joseph Smith, The full and complete Church of Jesus Christ was not on earth. Of course there were good people and some components of the truth.
– Joseph Smith, rebuilt the Church commenced line upon line, precept upon precept.
– Joseph Smith – Three levels of Heaven.
– Paul spoke of a man caught up in the 3rd heaven.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 4 – Tad R. Callister, of the Seventy
- – Apostle Paul was one of the greatest men to walk the earth.
- – Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son is separate
- – Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son have glorified bodies of Flesh and Bones
- – Joseph Smith, God still speaks to man today, the heavens are not closed.
- 3 Questions to ask:
- Does God love us as much today as in New Testament Times?
- Does he have the same power now as he did then?
- Do we need him now today as they needed him anciently?
- If the answer is YES, then it God does speak to men today.
- Joseph Smith, The full and complete Church of Jesus Christ was not on earth. Of course there were good people and some components of the truth.
- Joseph Smith, rebuilt the Church commenced line upon line, precept upon precept.
- Joseph Smith – Three levels of Heaven.
- Paul spoke of a man caught up in the 3rd heaven.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 3 – Jorge F. Zeballos, of the Seventy
– Salvation and Eternal live is brought by the atonement.
– It is by Grace, we are saved after all we can do.
– Do all what is in our reach to achieve what is impossible.
– Partake Worthily the Sacrament and receive the ordinances of the restored gospel.
– Do the best you can in the role as spouses, children, brothers and sisters in our callings in sharing the gospel and rescuing those who has drifted.
– Be like the Apostle Paul “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” – If we do so, we will be fulling the requirements of our Father in Heaven to bless us in this life and our life in eternity.
– Heavenly Father yearns to give us all that we have.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 3 – Jorge F. Zeballos, of the Seventy
- Salvation and Eternal live is brought by the atonement.
- It is by Grace, we are saved after all we can do.
- Do all what is in our reach to achieve what is impossible.
- Partake Worthily the Sacrament and receive the ordinances of the restored gospel.
- Do the best you can in the role as spouses, children, brothers and sisters in our callings in sharing the gospel and rescuing those who has drifted.
- Be like the Apostle Paul “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” – If we do so, we will be fulling the requirements of our Father in Heaven to bless us in this life and our life in eternity.
- Heavenly Father yearns to give us all that we have.