- Testifies of God and Jesus Christ. That he lives.
- God has a body.
- The father and son are distinct individuals.
- Know that God lives. Ponder about it.
- Gaining the knowledge that God lives and that he loves us.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 1 – Dallin H. Oaks, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- God’s perfect and universal love are shown in all the blessings of his Gospel plan. His choicest blessings are reserved for those who obey his laws.
- Talks about law and love and other deep doctrine.
- Church is growing around the world.
- Most think of us as honest, helpful and hard working.
- Some have images of clean cut missionaries, loving fa miles and friendly neighbors who don’t smoke or drink.
- People who attend church every Sunday for 3 hours. Where everyone is a brother or a sister. Where the children sing songs about streams that talk, trees that produce popcorn and every child that wants to become sun beams.
- Of all the things we want to be known for? Disciples of Jesus Christ.
- How do we become true disciples of Jesus Christ?
- If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- Keep it simple.
- When asked the greatest commandment? Jesus said to “thou shalt love the lord thy god with all thy heart, all thy soul and all thy might.”
- When we truly understand what it is to love as Jesus Christ love us, our confusion clears and our priorities align. Our walk as disciples of Christ becomes more Joyful. Our lives take on new meaning. Our relationship with Heavenly Father becomes more profound. Obedience becomes a joy, rather than a burden.
- Why should we love God? God does not need us to love him, but, O, how we need to love God. For what we love determines what we seek, what we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are and who we will become. We are created in the image of our Heavenly Parents, we are God’s spirit children.
- Therefore, we have a vast capacity of love. It is part of our spiritual heritage. What and how we love not only defines us as individuals, it also defines us as a Church.
- Love truly is a defining characteristic of a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- We are important to God not because of our resume but because we are His children.
- How can we increase our love for God? Because he is love, the closer we get to him, the more profoundly we experience love.
- What attribute should define us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. Let us be known as a people who love God with all our heart, soul and mind. And who love our neighbors as ourselves.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 5 – Elder David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- -Joseph Smith – “More diligent and concerned at home”
- Suggestion 1: Express love and show it. Do it often.
- -“I love you” From Spouse, Parent or Child is a rich blessing.
- -Do it, even if you feel “unsure, awkward or embarrassed.”
- Suggestion 2: Bare testimony and live it. Do it often. Testimony is truth, witnessed by the Holy Ghost.
- -Testimony From Spouse, Parent or Child is a rich blessing.
- -Do it, even if you feel “unsure, awkward or embarrassed.”
- Suggestion 3: Be consistent.
- Scriptures at his home read among outburst such as:
- He’s touching me!
- Make him stop looking at me!
- Mom he’s breathing my air!
- Compares Family Home Evening, Scripture Study and Prayer as a brush strokes on the canvas of our souls…like his painting of a wheat field in his office. Close up you only see individual brush strokes, but step back and you can see a beautiful painting.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 4 – Elder Russel T. Osguthorpe, Sunday School General President.
- Missionaries save lives, spiritual lives.
- Joseph F Smith said “when we receive the truth, we will be saved by it, will be saved not merely because someone taught it to us, but because we received it and acted upon it”.
- When missionaries and teachers draw on the spirit they teach the appropriate principle, invite the learners to learn that principle and then bear witness of promised blessings which will follow.
- Elder David A. Bednar shared three simple elements of affective teaching:
- Key doctrine
- Invitation to action
- Promised blessings
- The guide “Preach My Gospel” helps missionaries teach key doctrine.
- The guide”Teaching, No greater call” helps parents and teachers do the same.
- President Monson has taught:
The goal of gospel teaching is not to ‘pour information’ into the minds of class members….The aim is to inspire the individual to think about, feel about, and then do something about living gospel principles.
-“Teaching Helps Save Lives”
Saturday Session 1, Talk 3 – L. Whitney Clayton, Presidency of the Seventy
- How long can we carry burdens?
- Burdens form three sources:
- Natural product of the world we live in (illness, earthquakes, etc.) that we cannot control.
- Imposed upon us by the misconduct of others. Abuse, additions, sin, incorrect traditions, repression, crime. Gossip, unkindness can cause others genuine suffering.
- Our own mistakes and shortcomings produce many of problems and the most burden is sin. Pain from keeping commandments.
- No matter our burdens, we are children of god who sent us to earth for growth and progress. our experiences prepare us to return him.
- Diversity and afflictions last (from heavens perspective) for a small moment, if we do bear it well, we will be exalted.
- Burdens provide opportunities to practice virtues of perfection, invite us to yield to the Holy Spirit and put of the natural man and become a saint through atonement of Christ. Become a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things that the lord see fit to afflict to us, even as a child to the father.
- Burdens become blessings. Need time, effort and faith to understand.
- Cursed by be the ground for thy sake.
- By the sweat of thy face thou shall eat bread.
- Work is a continual burden, but a blessing for our sake. It teaches us lessons we can only learn by the sweat of our face.
Alma observed poverty and afflictions of the Zoromites humbled them to prepare them to hear the word.
- “Because ye are compelled to be humbled, blessed are ye.”
- Economic challenges can bless us to hear the word.
Because of the length of the way between Laminites and Nephites, were softened because of their inflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before god.
- Political unrest, social disorder and modern Gadianton Robbers may humble us and motivate us to seek shelter from societal storms.
Joseph Smith was told that the terrible things he suffered for years from his enemies would give him experience and be for his good.
- The suffering we experience from the offences of others is a valuable and painful school to improving our own behavior.
- Bearing our burdens will develop a reservoir of empathy for the problems of others.
- Bear one an other’s burdens that they me light.
- Keeping baptismal covenants help us with our burdens and others.
- Matthew Quote (When did we clothe thee, etc…) ye have done it on my brethren, you have done it unto me.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 2 – Vicky F. Matsumoni, Second Counselor, Primary General Presidency
- Missionaries feel prompted to visit one last place, home teacher prompted to call one of his families he visited a few days before, a young women going to a party to stay home.
- How did this happen? They were guided by the influence of the Holy Ghost.
- To learn about the Holy Ghost, we are affected by others when they help us and share their testimonies and provide an environment where the spirit can be felt.
- Spirit given to everyman, but the right comes by the gift of the holy ghost and the laying on of hands by the proper authority.
- Scriptures teach and bring constant companionship – “i will tell you in your heart and your mind by the holy ghost which shall come upon you and which shall well in your heart.” –
- Joseph Smith says you feel pure intelligence in you, it will give you sudden strokes of ideas.
- Henry B Eyring, says “it is peace, hope and joy. Almost always I have felt also felt a sensation of light”.
- 8 year old boy says “it felt like sunshine!”
- it is not always easy to discern sunshine feelings at first. Book of Mormon tells of Laminites who were baptised with fire and the holy ghost and knew it not.
- We can help other become more familiar with the promptings of the spirit when we share the influence of the Holy Ghost in our lives.
- Some experiences are too sacred to relate, however by sharing testimony of the spirit in our lives those who are unfamiliar with the promptings are more likely to recognize when they have similar feelings.
- When she was baptised, she felt nothing but wet. When she got the Holy Ghost, she felt happy but not the Holy Ghost. The next day in F&T Meeting she felt the holy ghost. She felt a cloud of warmth flood over her. even as an 8 year old. She felt it was different. She had a peace with her and a feeling that HF was pleased with her. Places to feel the spirit, Fast & Testimony, General Conference, The Temple.
- The challenge for all of us is to have an environment where the spirit can be felt daily in our homes and weekly at church. Reasons to pray and read scriptures every day because these activities invite the spirit into our homes and lives of our family members.
- Still small voice means it’s important to have quiet time in our lives.
- “Be still and know that I am god” if we have a still time every day, we allow the still small voice an opportunity to provide personal revelation, reassurance and comfort to us.
- Spirit at church can give divine confirmation on what is being taught.
- Elder Richard G. Scott said – “If you accomplish nothing else in your relationship with your students than to help them recognize and follow the promptings of the spirit you will bless their lives immeasurably and eternally”
- Sunday school teacher wrapped each child in a blanket to teach how the spirit felt (comfort and security). Mother heard of the lesson and thanked the teacher. Mother had a miscarriage and she was grieving. She was suddenly felt great warmth and peace, like someone covered her with a warm blanket. That was the spirit and she knew Heavenly Father was aware of her and that he loved her.
- The spirit will help us recognize the answers to our prayers and know how to live the gospel more fully each day. We will have witness of the father and the son.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 1 – Richard G Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Topic was on the Holy Ghost
- Learn to use the Holy Ghost by faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
- We become weaker as we learn to use the Holy Ghost.
- They want us to learn to use the Holy Ghost.
- Our Confidence will grow in using the Holy Ghost with practice.
- Holy Ghost Teaches Us in all situations.
- Sunday School Class – Writing Down Feelings, Review by Reading, Prayed about it, Received confirmation, received more information.
- If he had not prayed about it on the first impression, he would not have had the most precious last piece of information that he has received.
- Impression can come to pray at any time, we must exercise our agency to exercises the spirit to guide us.
- Strong emotions can overwhelm the spirit. “Trying to save the delicate flavor of a grape, while eating a jalapeno pepper. Both flavors are present, but one overpowers the others.” – strong emotions overcome the delicate promptings of the holy spirit.
- Satan tries to limit our ability to use the Holy Ghost. Making us feel we can’t use the spirit or by doing other things – pornography. Pornography is selfishness.
- If you pray with all your fever of your soul and with gratitude, you can learn to be consistently guided by the holy spirit in all aspects of our life.
- We can personally learn to be guided by the Spirit.