This last Saturday, I had the privileged of baptizing my 2nd son, Dylan. It was quite a different experience than the other baptisms that I have been to. This time, it seems like it was HIGHLY organized by our stake and there were so much people that it filled the entire chapel of the stake center.
This time around, each ward took turns at the font and split up into different areas of the stake center afterwards. Since Dylan was the only one being baptized for our ward, we ended up in the small family history / employment center room.
I also found myself referring back to my posts: My Son’s Baptism, A Convert’s Survival Guide: What to Expect BEFORE your Baptism and A Convert’s Survival Guide: What to Expect AFTER your Baptism to reference the prayers and procedures needing to be performed.
During the opening of the baptism service, I was impressed that my son was eager to answer all the questions by the speaker in the chapel for the service before the ordinance was performed. The baptism had to be done twice because his toe poked out of the water. The 2nd time I dunked him, I made sure to push him down to the very bottom of the font by his chest and knees.
Next during his confirmation, my heart was full of joy and I know my son felt the same way when telling him to “receive the holy ghost.”
I am thankful that my best friend Mike and his family could come and support Dylan in his decision. Also glad that Mike was on hand for being a witness in the baptism and part of the confirmation as well. I am glad to have the privilege to hold the priesthood and minister unto my family and those around me.
My son’s baptism has given me another person to look up to when living the gospel. Together I know we will help each other grow closer to Jesus Christ.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 6, Jeffery R. Holland, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Don’t serve “unwanted thoughts” tea and crumpets… shouldn’t be drinking tea anyway. 🙂
- Always remember him (Christ). Every Sunday we promise to do it during sacrament, so we should.
- I will “give place no more for the enemy of my soul” – Nephi (2 Nehpi 4:28)
Saturday Session 2, Talk 5, David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- While driving, saw a sign stating ” Standing Water Ahead.” He was able to slow down and take the road safely.
- Signs of danger
- Early warning signals in many aspects of our lives.
- We live in a day of warning.
- “Watching with all perseverance.” – Apostle Paul (Ephesians 6:18)
- Reading and talking about BoM with Children
- BoM is the complete gospel of Jesus Christ. Most Correct upon the earth, restores plain and precious things taken away from the gospel.
- Invites the 3rd member of the god head, the holy ghost. Help us get nearer to go than any other book. Discussions of gospel / principles of the BoM provide opportunity to learn from and teach our children.
- Bearing testimony of gospel truths spontaneously with children
- Knowledge we receive from the HG is a result of revelation. Need a sincere heart, real intent and faith in christ.
- Personal testimony brings responsibility and accountability. Bear testimony to their children spontaneously.
- Inviting children as gospel learners to act, not merely be acted upon.
- Inviting children to act. Our free agency makes us agents… agents to act, not to be acted upon. Builds upon BoM and testimony.
- Doing these things will give us spiritual discernment to enable us to stand as watchmen on the tower for our families.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 4, Bruce A. Carlson, Of the Seventy
- Ground Affect – plane stalled and crashed – No serious injuries.
- Harold B. Lee – “The safety of the church lies in the members keeping the commandments. As they keep the commandments, blessings will come.”
- When we choose to disobey a commandment:
- We have convinced it ourselves it does not apply to us.
- Partial or selective compliance with God’s laws will fail to bring the blessings of obedience.
- It is not important.
- Obedience to the Lord’s commands, in spite of how trivial or unimportant we believe them to be will surely bring his promised blessings.
- It is too difficult to obey
- At times we may rationalize that the Lord will understand our disobedience because our special circumstances make adherence to his laws difficult, embarrassing or even painful. However, faithful obedience, regardless of the apparent size of the task will bring the lords guidance, assistance and peace.
- “WHEN THE LORD COMMANDS, DO IT.”
Saturday Session 2, Talk 3, Koichi Aoyagi, Of the Seventy
- Wanted to be like the Elders he met.
- Was baptized, parents were Buddhist.
- Strayed from the Church when he went to college.
- Asking for truth through the power of the holy ghost.
- Through the power of the holy ghost, he learned of the father and son, and Joseph Smith.
- Decided to serve a church mission.
- Was sealed to the same girl who gave him a post card, that made him pray in the first place.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 2, D. Todd Christofferson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Translations and making it widely available.
- Gratitude to those who wrote the scriptures.
- We were not there, but know these things since we have the scriptual references of what happened.
- It helps us not forget what earlier generations and us have learned.
- Scriptures are standards for truth and knowledge
Saturday Session 2, Talk 1, L. Tom Perry, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Reflecting on the training of his / our mothers.
- Parents are entrusted with the education of their children.
- Parents must ensure that their children are being taught what their heavenly father would have them learn.
- A parent’s teachings must never be devalued.
- Parents should teach their children in the home, it is increasingly important in today’s world.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 1, Brook P. Hales, Secretary to the First Presidency
- Number of Stakes – 2,865
- Missions 344
- Districts 616
- Total wards and branches – 28,424
- Church Membership – 13,824,854
- New children of record – 119,722
- Converts baptized – 280,106
- Full time missionaries – 51,736
- Temples dedicated – 2
- Total temples in operation – 130 (Draper Utah and Oquirrh Mountain Utah)
An official press release has been released from the church as well, here.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 7 – Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor of the First Presidency
- Exercise faith in Jesus Christ, have a broken heart, repent and be: cleansed, changed and strengthened through the Lord’s atonement.
- Harder to do so, than to exercise faith early in your life.
- Assigned to help and rescue, strengthen and lead those who have been lead away, back to safety.
- Family has an opportunity at the start of a child’s life to lead and guide them.
- Primary workers help strengthen the children.
- Aaronic Priesthood, during sacrament prayer hears the promise of the holy ghost they will receive one day.
- We can all help, formal callings are not necessary.